Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A path for healing part 4

This is part 4 of "A path for healing" so I'd strongly suggest you go back and read the other 3 blog posts before jumping into this one.

A little more than a year ago, I found myself going to confession with a priest friend of mine.  At some point, he asked me if I had confessed the same sins over and over.  I thought about it, and yes - there were a few things that came up each and every time I went to confession.  Looking back and being honest about it, by it's very nature - something that happens over and over even though you try to stop it would be considered habitual or maybe even addictive.  We find all sorts of reasons to justify our sin - why its "ok" or "normal".  We accept our sin as part of "human nature" and just something "people do".  God made us "good" - but we turn to evil things.

He began to explain how I was likely being attacked by spiritual forces and encouraged me to look back and find when the doors were opened to such things.  I thought way back - WAY back and identified some areas where I needed healing.  He walked me through a process of "renunciation" in which I listed out everything I struggled with.  Renunciation means "to turn away from" or to "refuse to participate in".

In the name of Jesus, I renounce _______.
In the name of Jesus, I renounce the lie that ________.
In the name of Jesus, I accept the truth that _________.
In the name of Jesus, I forgive ______ for _______.

I just went through and listed out everything I struggled with.  I looked down and saw the lies that I had in my head - lies that my sin would "never" go away - lies that I was "always" going to sin in this way, and that it was part of me".  Lies that I would never receive healing - lies that I was unworthy of receiving healing.  I forgave people in my past that I thought I forgave but never really did.  As he prayed over me, I literally felt like I was raising up out of my chair and floating sideways.  My chest was heavy, and through is prayer, that heaviness lifted and was removed.  I was changed - something happened that I can't explain.  He said  to me as we finished - "The process of being unbound does not immediately result in freedom - it results in weakness".  Before the prayer, I was bound by sin.  It had me in its clutches, it took up space in my soul and as the spirits were removed, it left space open.  That space was now available for God.  In the name of Jesus - the chains were broken!

over the next few months, my struggle went from 90% to 10%.  I was tempted - and each time I went through my prayer - In the name of Jesus, I renounce _______.  As I found new things that I struggled with, I would pray In the name of Jesus, I renounce____.

Now - how do you do this?  James 5:16 tell us "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." If you have some big heavy stuff, you need some big heavy power.  You really need to go to someone who is trained in this ministry as someone who does this without the right preparation or support could find themselves in a mess.  You COULD however - try some basics on your own.  Reflect on your sin - people you have not forgiven, any lies you might be hearing, and go through the process of renouncing those things.  After you renounce everything, say a prayer asking the Lord to heal your brokenness - your emptiness - to replace your sin with his presence and strength.  After over a year, I can honestly say that the sin I used to face has literally been removed and is no longer a struggle. 

If you're looking for some support, encouragement or someone to pray with you, please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll see if I can find someone in your area to pray with you. You can find more about this ministry - training and conferences here: heartofthefather.com

If  you begin this prayer or have done this prayer, please post in the comments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment